The castle of Parga (Venetian Castle) is found on the top of a hill overlooking the town and was used to protect Parga from the mainland of Greece and the sea. Parga Castle was initially built in the 11th century by the residents of Parga to protect their town from the pirates and Turks but it was partly destroyed by such invasions. In the 13th century, the Venetians rebuilt Parga Castle to fortify the area. In 1452, Parga was occupied by Turks and destroyed part of the Castle of Parga.
Then, in the 16th century, it was rebuilt for the fourth time by the Venetians, who made it a strong fortress. They built eight towers outside the Castle and two cisterns to supply the Castle of Parga with water in times of war. When, the Castle, as the whole town, was sold to the Turks in 1813, it was fortified even more and obtained a new building called “hamam” at its top, when the harem of the Sultan would live.
Today, the Castle of Parga is a great exponent of the Venetian architecture, and one of the most interesting attractions in Parga. The Venetian Castle has some interesting details, such as the Lion of Venice in the entrance, emblems of Ali Pasha, two-headed eagles, some inscriptions and a secret path to the sea. The location of this castle obviously provides magnificent views over Parga and the coastline. It is also a peaceful area to go for a walk, surrounded by cypress trees and crossed by stone trails.
Tip: Wear some decent flat shoes – it will help with the steps up through the village and with walking around the Castle…